We are seeking a Dancer (Female) with intermediate level or above experience and can pass as teenager to join our Dance Ensemble. Singing or acting experience not required.
We are also seeking Singer & Dancer (Male); Ages 16-30 to join our Teen Ensemble. (Can pass as teenager)
LOCATION (AUDITION AND REHEARSALS)
- Queen Elizabeth Park Community Centre, located at 2302 Bridge Road, Oakville, Ontario. (MAP)
REHEARSAL DAYS / TIMES
- Regular Rehearsal days (You may not be needed at every rehearsa)
- Sundays 6pm - 10pm
- Mondays 7:15pm - 10:15pm
- Fridays 7:00pm - 10:00pm
PERFORMANCE LOCATION & DATES
- Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
- Tech rehearsal March 1-3, 2020
- Performance: March 4 - 8, 2020
When Ren and his mother move from Chicago to a small farming town, Ren is prepared for the inevitable adjustment period at his new high school. What he isn't prepared for are the rigorous local edicts, including a ban on dancing instituted by the local preacher, determined to exercise the control over the town's youth that he cannot command in his own home. When the reverend's rebellious daughter sets her sights on Ren, her roughneck boyfriend tries to sabotage Ren's reputation, with many of the locals eager to believe the worst about the new kid. The heartfelt story that emerges is of a father longing for the son he lost and of a young man aching for the father who walked out on him. To the rockin' rhythm of its Oscar and Tony-nominated top 40 score (the soundtrack album reached number one on the Billboard charts and has sold over 15 million copies!) and augmented with dynamic new songs for the stage musical, FOOTLOOSE celebrates the wisdom of listening to young people, guiding them with a warm heart and an open mind.
1. Time Commitment
- Rehearsals will be 3 times per week [2 weekday evenings & 1 weekend day (3 hours per rehearsal)]
- You will not be requried to attend all rehearsal during the early sessions
- Tech and performance will be March 1-8, 2020.
2. Singing (if applicable)
- An accompanist will be provided. Please bring sheet music for the accompanist preferably in a binder. Do not bring folded music. Music should have the vocal line and a piano part, not just words and chords or just a melody line.
- You can sing to a track e.g. karaoke or something recorded. A Bluetooth speaker, auxiliary cable and/or CD player will be available.
- If you are used to accompanying yourself, that is fine providing that your voice can be heard without amplification.
- You can sing something from the show or something in a similar style.
- Sheet music can be purchased online from musicnotes.com For some songs, an Audition Cut Long is available.
TIP: It is a good idea to prepare excerpts of two songs that demonstrate different qualities of your voice. e.g. range, emotion, dynamics, style. You may be stopped before the end of your song due to time restrictions.
Please come prepared to learn a section of choreography from the show. This choreography will be taught and then performed in small groups. Please wear clothing you are comfortable dancing in and appropriate footwear (ie. dance shoes or running shoes).
Please warm up prior to the beginning of the dance call.
- Bring a hard copy of your headshot or any current photo of you to the audition if you have one
If you require further information prior to auditioning, please contact us by email
Note: We are a volunteer (non-paying), non-union community theatre company.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Is there a script I can read?
Please search online for a script.
Where can I learn more about this play
How many rehearsals can I miss?
As you can see by the size of the cast, this is a huge show with lots of moving parts. We expect you to be available as mentioned above. That being said, if you indicate scheduling conflicts we will assess on a case by case basis.
NOTE: Full attendance is mandatory during the show week - no exceptions.
Can I audition for more than one role?
Yes, you can audition for as many roles as you like. If you want to play a part, mark in down in the registration form!
Will everyone be asked to do a cold read?
What is your artistic vision for the show?
The show is meant to be a high energy blast of fun with a great message. We will have bright costumes, high energy dance numbers offering a great experience for the audience.
How are you auditioning for dance?
Dance auditions will be conducted in small groups from 8pm - 9pm on the same evening you are auditioning for acting and singing.
How often do we rehearse for the smaller Adult ensemble role(s)
We are anticipating only needed Adult ensemble 1 rehearsal per week until February (Most likely Fridays). NOTE: From February onward, you will likely be needed at all 3 weekly rehearsals.
AUDITION REGISTRATION FORM